In 2009 we established the twin Volunteer Advisory Panel (VAP) to ensure that we take the opinions and views of our volunteers on board during the development and running of research programmes at TwinsUK.
The VAP consists of 12 members who live in or near London and travel to St Thomas’ for two meetings a year, and a minimum further 12 members from across the United Kingdom who correspond by email and phone only.
Members include identical and non-identical twins and male and female twins of different ages. Only one twin in a pair can be on the panel at any one time. Membership lasts for three years.
The current panel is in place until 2021 after which we will invite members of TwinsUK to apply to sit on the new panel. The group is chaired by Paz García, Programme Manager at TwinsUK.
What does the VAP do?
- Advising on new research protocols and providing input into new grant proposals
- Piloting our questionnaires
- Reviewing newsletters, recruitment information and information sheets
- Discussing ethical issues
- Providing advice on how to engage members of TwinsUK in our research and engagement programme